Saturday, September 23, 2006

If Betel were human, he'd play the pots in the kitchen

He is SO rambunctious.
I can't do their weights anymore because I can't lift them and then look over to see the number on the scale. And they are too big and squirmy to sit in one tiny little scale spot. So now we'll just have to be surprised when they go to the vet (which I hope is never). I remember there was a phase where I was sneaking Odin into banks to weigh him on their scale.
Orion is eating about 15 cups of food a day. Sometimes he doesn't quite finish. Betel is eating about 12, maybe a cup or so less. In comparison, Odin eats 3.
They have also learned how to blast the door open with their bodies. First, I found Orion out in the living room when I got home at lunch, while Betel was inside the dog room with the gate up. Then they were both in the living room and the gate was down. So I started putting the gate up, and cracking the door open but holding it with weights. That has worked so far while they're both in there, but then I started taking them on walks one at a time (more on this in a minute), and they don't like being left alone. Even with the door shut and 20 pounds of weights stacked against it, they can blast it open and open it far enough to get out. The only way I can keep them in there is if I pull the treadmill in front of the door to hold it shut. I don't want to have to shut that door all the way because it's also the cat door. But the cats don't come in much anymore.
Speaking of the cats, each morning when I take Betel on his walk, all three are following me. I haven't worked up the nerve to go all the way around the block because I'm worried they would get scared and go into the evil neighbors yard and get trapped. Now only Bella wears a collar because Echo takes them off within 24 hours and I lost all the spares. Echo is almost impossible to catch now, and I see them two or three houses down. I feel like the neighborhood nut with all the animals - the Pied Piper, but harried - but at least there's the crazy neighbor who's nuttier than me.
The room that Watanabe sprayed in smells so awful (it is the dog room). I can hardly bear to go into it, and I don't know what to do about it. If I pay to get it fixed, he might just spray on it again. The carpet is getting all worn down, and they have done a tiny amount of damage to that door when they blast against it. Thank god I am not renting.
Finally, Orion was awful in obedience last week. For our third class we worked on the same: sit, down, stay, leave it, and walking on a loose leash. We just made each one a little harder. We played puppy poker first, where we walk around and when the music stops you have 3 seconds to sit on a card. Orion only got 2 cards out of 5 chances because he would not stop trying to figure out where Betel was. The instructor said the problem with two puppies is they bond together, and Orion is bonded to Betel, so he could care less about what I'm telling him to do. So now I've instituted a new, rigorous schedule where they eat separate, go on separate walks, and do very separate obedience. She said that should be enough, that I don't need to separate them all day. He already seems to be responding better. But it's very time consuming.
Odin has been sneezing and coughing a lot. Betel got over his sneeze he had after being boarded, and I don't know if Odin is having a delayed reaction (it looks like kennel cough from my dog book), or if it is a heart thing. One sign of heart failure is a lot of sneezing and coughing, especially after going to bed. I guess because you're asleep on your heart and the weight? He has been doing it a lot in bed, so I am going to watch him a couple more days, then take him to the vet. He still has that lump on his tail too.

No comments: