Thursday, November 13, 2008

Poor Daisy!

Is everything going ok with Daisy? I am so sorry to hear that she took a little dive. Her timing is impeccable.

Stampy is now being boarded each week for 2-3 days, to give Odie (and the cats) a break. And hopefully get him more used to change and being alone/independent a little more.

Odie spent the night at KT's a couple nights ago, and he asked whether he groans when he moves all the time, and I said "well, yeah" and at that moment, realized I probably shouldn't just let him be in pain all the time. Last time we were at the vet I mentioned it, but then I said I didn't want him on more medication. So I'm about to email the vet to ask for Prozac for Stampy and Rimadyl for Odin.

Odin's had about every other day kind of crazy leaky butt (** gross alert: there are some splatters on the linoleum in the kitchen, and I'm just like "thank god it's on the linoleum instead of the carpet), but seems to be feeling ok over all. Just crazy heart episode about once a week, but I've noticed I've been having a racing heart about every three days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi there. nope, things went terribly. i had to put Daisy to sleep last night. we were never able to fully figure out exactly what caused her stomach problems yesterday, but whatever it was caused her heart to go down hill really quickly. she wound up with 3 of the 4 kinds of arrhythmia, afib, vtac, and apparently the most troubling, the dreaded vct. (I think I've got those right). They also found some cancerous cells in her lymph nodes (one possible cause of the gastro problems).

all i can tell you is this ... i do think when the time comes you will know. The hardest thing was trying to separate whether it was all the drugs that made her look so awful in the hospital, or whether it was just her heart failing to adequately pump blood. In the end, i could not leave Daisy in the ICU trying to prolong life with no hope of actually getting better. It was an incredibly hard decision to make, although i a lot of ways, I think I was very happy to say bye to Daisy in that way.

And these last few months, where it was debatable at times whether I was putting Daisy through unnecessary suffering, were sooo worth it. I could not be happier about the efforts we made to give Daisy a few more months.

The hard part is now ... I don't have another problem child to keep me pre-occupied! Maybe I'll become one of those dog-rescue--boarder people to keep me busy.

I'll still be following your pet adventures, and I hope you and Odin have plenty of more good times together!

Chris

Martha said...

Chris,
I am so sorry to hear the news about Daisy. I'm sure she was as comfortable as she possibly could be, and of course, totally loved. Rescue dogs would be lucky to get to spend some time with you before finding their new homes.
Best of luck,
Martha