Sunday, October 05, 2008

Beware - really gross paragraph

Odin did seem to feel better on the furosemide for a couple of days. But now he seems to be feeling bad again, and as far as I can tell, the afib seems to be almost constant.
This is the gross paragraph: **Last night he had the worst poop in the bed ever. It was a leaky butt poop, but like the volume of a normal poop, and so it got all over me and all the sheets and it caked onto me and was repulsive and I had to use my scrub brush (to clean the bathtub) to get it off.** I think I ruined my sheet and my comforter cover trying to get them clean because I soaked them in bleach water in the bathtub, and then ran them through two wash cycles (vigorous, "heavy duty" wash cycles).
We had a visit with the vet on Tuesday (I think) that got me really upset. She said that Odin is basically like in hospice now, and we are waiting for him to die or for him to tell us when he's ready to die. She said we can't stop the afib, and we've got him on everything we can put him on to make him as comfortable as possible. She said it really nicely, but it was the first time the news has been so blunt that I haven't been able to convince myself that it's all going to revert and go back to the way he was for a couple more years.
I think the not eating is a bad sign. But since he's still eating hot dogs (or whatever) and the McD's cheeseburgers, it's not totally grim yet.
I've just never been through this before - I don't know what to expect. And I feel terrible for him for feeling bad, but he still feels good sometimes.
I cried so hard on my way home from that vet visit that I gave myself a migraine and felt sick to my stomach.
She said she'd like me to check in once a week: either bring him in, call, or email, and just let her know how he's doing. He was feeling the best he has in like six months while we were there. He gave the vet tech a sneak attack kiss and was just prancing all around begging for treats from Dr. W.
Today he's huddled on the couch, shivering even with a blanket on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sorry odin is doing badly. I've talked about this issue with a lot of my friends it is really tough. One of my friends who had an ailing dog did use the lack of enthusiasm about any food as a cue for "the decision". That is, when her dog would no longer eat things like steaks ... she knew her dog was no longer enjoying life. You know this, but you also have to judge how much pain Odin is in. it sounds bad. i say this because I'm gonna need you to tell me the same thing when Daisy reaches this stage. This is terrible. hope you find my 2 cents useful and not harsh.