Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's hot

Friday Olympia broke records with the 100 degree heat. It has been in the 90's yesterday and today (Saturday and Sunday).
Today the puppies got their first baths outside. Neither of them liked it (I would have - it was hot and it was nice cool water), but Orion in particular thrashed around on the end of the leash, choking himself. They also got their "grooming": ears cleaned, nails clipped, and teeth brushed. To add insult to injury, I wormed them this morning - probably for the final time.
They are doing really well with obedience. I work with them both at the same time, which sometimes necessitates a foot to block one dog from the other, but they are both doing sit, down, and "puppy push-ups" (sit, down, sit) just fine. Of course, when I have treats they follow me around, so we're not working on come. We also work on handling every day, though it didn't seem to help much when I was trying to do their nails today.
Their weights, for the start of Week 14 and Week 12 are the same again: 30.5 pounds. They are getting kind of heavy to pick up and balance while I'm looking down at the scale.
Washing Odin outside, while considerably easier than in the bathtub, was not the world's greatest idea. He immediately ran to the dirt (like a horse), tried to roll, and then jumped around in it, getting dirt caked onto his still wet head, legs, and undercarriage. I didn't have the heart to make him get back in his collar and stand back in the hose, so hopefully it will dry and fall off (like usual) not leaving him stinky like dirt.
This morning they woke up at 6 (Kevin is out at the beach, then hiking, with Colin & Liz) because it was finally cool, and would not stop barking. It was driving me crazy, so I'm sure it was driving the neighbors crazy too. When I put them out in the yard and sat out there with them, they immediately went to sleep, which is what they've done the rest of the day.

No comments: