Thursday, June 22, 2006

Odin was 7 yesterday




I am a bad dog mom because I forgot. I had it on my calendar and everything.
Things have been very busy with the two pups. Like Betel two weeks ago, Orion gets the hiccups a lot. Their favorite toys are the ones we got at the auction, surprisingly, and a box from PetSmart. The top toy right now is a small, soft yellow bone with a squeaker in it. Right now they can squeak it, chase, and play tug of war. They play a lot of tug of war. They don't play tug of war with the tug of war toys - any of the various rope toys designed specifically for tug of war.
Monday they were left alone for an hour while I went to the post office. Tuesday was two hours while I was at the barn. Wednesday was a half day while I was at work. Today I'm home again, but I'm ignorning the howls of distress coming from the dog room because I have work to do as soon as I finish posting this. A LOT of work to do, and I think I'm going to have to get into the office today to do it.
There haven't been any house accidents in two days (that I know of) and never a poop accident inside. But Orion just pees wherever he is, so the only reason there haven't been more accidents is because I've been spending as much awake time outside as is possible. I wish it would get warm, because I sit out there in pants and a jacket until the sun comes out, then get hot and roll up the pants and take off the jacket, then a cloud comes by and I'm back huddled in the jacket.
They've been doing pretty well sleeping, and they play a lot now (and I think, a little less aggressively), and Betel is sitting in front of the door, but there are problems. Betel is really pushy about food, so it is hard to feed both of them because Betel wants what Orion is eating. They are also greedy about toys, even though there are 100 in the room (or so), they want to play with whatever the other is playing with. And they both compete to get on my lap. Betel isn't playing as much with Odin anymore, though he still does. Yesterday Odin let Orion climb up on him, but he hasn't expressed a lot of interest in Orion yet.
I'm back to the anxiety I felt when Odin was little - that every second away means I'm going to have a couple of bad dogs. I got to spend a lot more time near Odin when he was tiny, though I was working and then school, so he was still alone a good bit too.

No comments: