Monday, June 05, 2006

Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.

Two exciting things happened today. Due to a boring series of work-related things, I had to take two lunch breaks for the dogs. 11:45 and 1:15. The 1:15 break, which included lunch, did not result in a successful BM (interesting only to other dog owners, old people, and people with babies). Then, I got trapped at my desk until 6 pm, so Betel didn't get another break until 6:15, at which point he cried the entire car ride home, then he bolted for the grass.
The good news about his marathon-holding-it-and-not-ruining-the-housebreaking-training is that tomorrow I'm going to have to abruptly change our system and leave him at home. The forecast, which was for rain until about 10 minutes ago when I checked again, is now for 0% rain, 100% sun, and in the 70's. And I have to go to a CLE with no shady parking, so he will cook like a little hot dog in the car if I leave him there. So I'm going to make the jump, which I would rather do gradually, and leave him in the dog room with the door cracked to the cat cage. I hope I don't undo our first week of housebreaking training and start him on the path to separation anxiety.
The other big news is that Odin played with him today. He got down on the ground and did a weird thrashing and rolling around game, which was clearly a game, but new to me after 7 years of watching Odin play 99% of the time he's played. Betel, of course, loved it, and loved the attention from his big brother. He tends to stand next to Odin and jump up and down saying "look at me! look at me! look at meeeeee!" while Odin gazes regally off into the distance.
It felt like a big step.
In other steps, this morning we took a walk around the block, only I walked, Odin walked, and Betel got carried most of the way. For reasons I can not fathom, he will walk around the plaza at work, but walking around the block was too scary or something.

No comments: