Thursday, June 01, 2006

Rain in June is Lame

If I have one tip for raising a puppy, it is this: Don't get a short haired dog when it rains a lot. Today was mega-downpours every time I went outside to give the dogs a break. I spent a miserable lunch hour standing next to public bathrooms at the lake playing with Betel and the end of his leash, and then an extremely miserable half hour break playing with a leaf in the elevator shaft. Those were the only two dry places I could find in the torrential downpour only 20 days from summer (or thereabouts). Having a puppy in the warm, sunny, summer months is much easier.
Betel is 8 pounds now, so he's gained around 1/2 pound in the 6 days we've had him. Today he really started to eat (I'd guess 2 cups today, up from about 1/2 cup), so I expect he'll start growing. He was pretty manic this evening, after being cooped up in the elevator shaft and car, so he's been a bit of a handful. Or we've been a bit of a mouthful.
One really interesting thing happened with one of the kittens. Betel was chasing and biting at Bella, and she wasn't running away or smacking him. Then they played a rolling around wrestling type game and some chase. Bella is by far the most outgoing of the cats, and after a few minutes of that, she jumped out of the room. A few minutes later, she jumped back in and sprawled invitingly on the carpet, but by then, I had the camera, so of course Betel wasn't interested.
Writing a blog is a whole lot like the 6th grade mandatory journal entry, except I think probably marginally more interesting. The only thing I remember about the journal was Ms. Daniels seemed to really enjoy the break, and I spent a lot of time writing about how I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. She read the journals (why?), and always wrote back things like "You have plenty of time to figure that out." Which wasn't enough - I should have worked harder at that in the 6th grade.
In a mere two weeks, it should be raining less.

No comments: